Meeting Notice: Florida FFA Board of Directors - Quarterly Meeting
Jan 17, 2020 by Ronnie Simmons
In a continued effort for inclusion and transparency in the governance of the organization, the following meeting information is being provided to FFA stakeholders.
Reminder of Next Meeting and Final Agenda
As published on the Florida FFA Calendar, the next quarterly meeting of the Florida FFA Board of Directors will be Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 2:30 PM at the Florida FFA Leadership Training Center (LTC) in Haines City.
In accordance with board policy, agenda items from board members, staff and stakeholders must be submitted no later than two weeks prior to the board meeting (with the exception of emergency situations/items). Following the closing of this submission window, an agenda was prepared and is included below for your reference.
Stakeholders are encouraged to seek/provide feedback to board members and/or staff as necessary.
If you have questions regarding issues of the board or wish to submit an agenda item for future consideration, feel free to contact Florida FFA Staff or an area board representative as follows:
- Area 1 – Stan Scurlock – email@example.com (Chair)
- Area 2 – Jill Huesman - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 3 – Johanna Davis, Bunnell FFA - DavisJ@FlaglerSchools.com
- Area 4 – Caela Paioff, Orlando Colonial FFA - Caela.Paioff@ocps.net
- Area 5 – Tim Cribbs, Durant FFA - email@example.com
- Area 6 – Brian Trimble, Okeechobee Osceola FFA - TrimbleB@okee.k12.fl.us
Summary of Actions - Previous Meeting
The Florida FFA Board of Directors, Consultants, State Officers and staff met in Gainesville, Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 10:00 AM for a regularly scheduled quarterly meeting.
The FFA Board:
- Approved the minutes of previous meeting: July 31, 2019.
- Heard the State Officer Report.
- Heard, discussed and accepted the quarterly financial report.
- Heard the association staff update including a report of membership, Agricultural Education/FFA License Plate, CDE/LDE participation and an update on Legislative Budget Request (LBR) efforts. Additionally, staff shared a report regarding Title IV Part A funding requested from the Florida Department of Education.
- Heard Team AgEd reports including Department of Education, Alumni, FAAE, Foundation, UF/AEC/CALS and Florida Farm Bureau/AEST.
- The board heard and accepted the report of the Liability Insurance committee with recommendation for insurance package.
- The board considered and passed a motion authorizing a general liability appropriation to contract with education and non-profit liability company of America.
- The board considered and passed a motion to revise the FFA calendar and revert back to existing structure for the Safe Tractor Operations Career Development Event (CDE), as a result of the work done by the CDE liability committee.
- The board heard discussion regarding official policy pertaining to the requirement for sub-district officers to hold the Chapter FFA Degree. This topic was submitted by a stakeholder. As a result of the discussion, the interpretation was that the Sub-District Chairperson must have qualified for the Chapter FFA Degree at the time of election, while the alternate chairperson does not have a degree requirement. A committee was appointed to further review the existing policy and clarify the requirements & responsibilities of sub-district officers.
- A stakeholder request was considered regarding a special circumstance for the District XII LDE.
- Delegate Committee feasibility reports were heard by the board and directed back to state officers and staff for further consideration at a future meeting.
- A draft Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the Florida FFA Association and the Florida Forest Service, regarding Forestry Camp was reviewed. A final version of the agreement will be considered at a future meeting.
- The board passed a motion authorizing staff to renew directors and officers liability policy.
- Board entertained a discussion about the anticipation of increased participation at the local level as a result of increased membership (affiliation).
- Meeting was adjourned at approximately 1:30 PM.
Future Meeting Dates
- January 23, 2020 - Haines City
- April 7, 2020 - Gainesville
On behalf of Florida FFA Board of Directors, state officers and staff, we thank you for your interest in the future of Florida FFA and we hope that this summary provides insight into the governance of the organization.
Ronnie D. Simmons
Executive Secretary / Director
Florida FFA Association, Inc.
FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.
The Florida FFA Association is a resource and support organization that does not select, control, supervise or approve local chapter or individual member activities except as expressly provided for in the Florida FFA Constitution and Bylaws.
The Florida FFA Association affirms its belief in the value of all human beings and seeks diversity in its membership, leadership and staff as an equal opportunity employer.