UPDATE: 91st Florida FFA State Convention & Expo
May 29, 2019 by Ronnie Simmons
Florida FFA is excited to welcome you to the 91st Annual Florida FFA State Convention & Expo in just 12 days! Rest assured, our staff and state officers are working overtime to ensure the best convention experience ever! As we prepare for convention, here are a couple of updates, announcements and reminders.
Convention Schedule: Below you will find the most recent version of the Convention Schedule. Be sure to review it as times may have changed.
Record Pre-Registration: We are excited that, at the close of online registration, there are more then 3,500 attendees pre-registered for convention! With this record-setting pre-registratin, we fully anticipate that more than 5,000 students, teachers and supporters will be in attendance at our convention this year!
Expanded Registration Hours: In an effort to accomodate those participating in LDEs, we have expanded our convention registration hours, as follows:
Sunday, June 9th: 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Friday, June 14th: 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM
- It is critically important that teachers with students participating in LDEs allow enough time to be registered before proceeding to the assigned LDE location. It is highly encouraged that those chapters participating in early CDEs Monday morning arrive and register Sunday evening. LDEs will not be delayed for teams and individuals that are late.
- It is also important that you be sure that you have a completed Florida FFA Permission Form (signed and notarized) prior to arrival. Students will not be able to register without completed forms. If you need a copy of the form, please find it attached below:
- Only FFA advisors should be in the convention registration line. Students and other guests should wait in common area until the FFA Advisor has completed the registration process.
- Payment is required at the time of registration. Checks, Cash and Credit/Debit cards are all acceptable forms of payment.
Hotel Check-in Reminders: Please be reminded that the hotel check-in time is 4:00PM. Please do not expect to be able to check into your rooms until after this time. We would also remind you to be patient and courteous to the hotel staff. As you might imagine, it is a huge undertaking to check-in more than 5,000 guests in short period of time.
Food Concessions: As previously announced, the Iowa Pork Producers/FFA Concession trailer will not be onsite. Instead, the Caribe Royale will be offering concession options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The concession area will be located in the Caribbean/Boca hallway area in the east end of the convention center, with outside seating available.
Cont’l Breakfast: 7:30AM-9:30AM
Concession Menu (example):
- Pizza (by the slice) - $4.00
- Hot Dog - $6.00
- Chicken Tenders - $7.00
- Assorted Deli Sandwiches $8.00 (Turkey/provolone, Roast Beef/cheddar, Ham/swiss)
- Chef Salad - $8.00
- Chips, Brownies, Popcorn, Pretzels, etc. - $2.00
- Candy Bars - $2.00
- Soft Drinks - $2.00
Parking Procedures: Please be aware that there are new parking procedures that were put into place in 2018. The Caribe Royale now charges a daily parking fee ($10/day) for all vehicles entering the parking areas.
For guests staying onsite:
- You will receive a parking "key card" at the time of hotel check-in. This card will be used to raise the parking arms and parking charges will be billed to your room.
For transient/day guests who are not staying on property:
- Pull up to the parking gate and press the button to receive your parking ticket.
- Upon arrival in the convention center, bring your parking ticket to the parking kiosk located in the Caribbean Hallway to pay your parking fee. Once the ticket has been validated, it will allow you to exit the property.
Board Elections: The agriculture teacher meeting during convention will be at 2:30 pm on Wednesday, June 12th in Finals Hall. During this meeting, teachers in Area 3 and Area 4 will be asked to elect teacher representatives to the FFA Board of Directors.
According to the by-laws of the Florida FFA Association, the terms of the the teachers representing Areas 3 & 4 on the Board of Directors will expire effective June 30th. These positions are a three-year term beginning July 1, 2019 and ending June 30th, 2022. Those teachers interested in serving in the position are asked to submit a letter of intent by Monday, June 3rd in order to be considered.
During the teacher meeting, teachers from Areas 3 & 4 will receive a ballot and be asked to vote on area representatives. There will not be any nominations from the floor.
"Teachers Only" Reception - You Are Invited! Following the teacher meeting, there will be a "Teachers Only" Reception in the Expo on Wednesday from 4:00-5:30 PM. Be sure to join us at the conclusion of the teacher meeting.
Student/Teacher Workshops & Classrooms: Be sure to include student & teacher workshops in your convention experience! We are excited to offer nearly 70 workshop experiences for students and teachers this year! While a complete listing of classrooms and workshops will be include in the convention guidebook, a draft listing of workshop offerings in included below for your planning convenience.
New this year, FFA Advisors will be required to sign a printed copy of the convention guidelines. This signature acknowledges that the FFA advisor received a copy of the convention guidelines (below) and that he/she will share and enforce these guidelines with their students. Failure to abide by any of these guidelines will result in school district being notified and student and/or chapter's convention attendance being terminated early.
- Dress appropriately at all times. Members should be in Official FFA Dress anytime they are in the Convention Center.
- Armbands and credentials are required. Armbands and badges must be worn by FFA members at all times. The removal or transfer of an armband from one person to another is a violation of convention policy. All advisors, chaperones, parents and other guests must have a button, name badge or ticket to enter any part of the convention. Attendees who do not have the proper credentials will be asked to visit the registration desk to purchase the appropriate credentials.
- Weapons are prohibited in all convention areas. The Florida FFA Convention is an official school function and attendees must abide by school rules concerning weapons.
- The use of illegal substances will not be tolerated. This includes the use of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
- Respect the Courtesy Corps Members. Full official FFA dress is required in all convention areas, including General Sessions, Expo, Workshops, Competitive Events and all common areas of the convention center.
- Respect the hotel property, staff and other guests. Let’s show the hotel staff and guests that Florida FFA members are courteous, honest and fair. Respect the rights of other guests and help make their stay here this week as great as yours. Remember the hotel staff is here to make your convention experience the best it can be. Keep things picked up so they can get in to make the beds and clean the room.
- The hotel pool closes at 11:00pm. When using the pool, please respect other hotel guests and keep the noise level to a minimum. Any report of horseplay including running, jumping or diving will result in chapter restrictions on pool use and notification of school administration.
- Curfew is at 11:00pm. This means in your rooms with lights out. Hotel security is aware of the curfew time and will be patrolling the property. Advisors, please do not have your students out past this time.
- No cooking is permitted in the hotel suites, hallways or parking lots. Villas are available for this purpose.
Failure to follow these convention guidelines will result in being sent home and school administration being notified.
It is our goal for each attendee to have the very best convention experience possible. If you need assistance while you are here or if there is anything we can do for you, please visit our registration area or our Convention Office located in the Hibiscus Room. We are excited to see you real soon!
FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.
The Florida FFA Association is a resource and support organization that does not select, control, supervise or approve local chapter or individual member activities except as expressly provided for in the Florida FFA Constitution and Bylaws.
The Florida FFA Association affirms its belief in the value of all human beings and seeks diversity in its membership, leadership and staff as an equal opportunity employer.