The Shane Carlin and Annie Sit Inclusion Award Nomination Form
The Shane Carlin and Annie Sit Inclusion Award
Deadline is March 28th, 2017
The University of Kentucky will continue the annual tradition of acknowledging outstanding student service and commitment to inclusion and diversity at The University Honors & Recognition Awards Program on April 18, 2017. The Shane Carlin and Annie Sit Inclusion Award recognizes the achievements of students that have made strides in assisting to move our campus forward.
Shane is a 1995 graduate of the University of Kentucky and has been a Student Affairs Professional since that time. While at UK, Shane was involved in many student organizations. He and his wife want to celebrate and highlight students who strive to make the University of Kentucky more inclusive. The Carlin’s developed this award to recognize students that do social justice work, and have been committed to the ideals of diversity and inclusion in the most impacting and discerning manner.
Criteria of Eligibility
The applicants must be:
- classified sophomores who have completed at least three semesters at UK, juniors, seniors, or graduate students who are in good standing with the University
- currently enrolled full-time at UK
- participants in diversity education efforts on campus, and/ or community initiatives that promote social justice awareness, and cultural understanding
- demonstrating leadership ability by example
- active advocates for holistic acceptance and social justice
Completed nominations must include the following:
- Completed nomination form
- Original letter of nomination by a member of the University of Kentucky faculty, staff, student organization representative or student advocate for inclusion and change
Note that additional letters of support can be included with the original nomination form from other university constituents or individuals outside of the university community (i.e., volunteer agency, local community representatives, and/ or students.)
In completing the letters of nomination, please consider and comment on the following:
- Nominee’s motivation and understanding of the impact they have on others as a result of inclusive community building. Quality of involvement rather than quantity shall be the primary consideration. Please expand beyond items listed on the resume.
- Nominee’s commitment to diversity and inclusion- the degree of genuine understanding exhibited as well as knowledge of the meaning of “holistic diversity”.
- Nature and background of nominee’s volunteer accomplishments. Include specific examples of active efforts in the local and/ or campus community (consider self- initiated efforts).