Marti Dense Leadership Award Submission Form
Marti Dense Leadership Award
Due to several requests the deadline has been extended to 11:59pm Friday, September 23, 2016
At the heart of the Latina/o community at Cornell are some amazing leaders. In 2014, the 22nd Annual Latino Unity Dinner Steering Committee felt there was a need to honor an exceptional student leader on campus. When considering whom to name this award after, the committee chose to honor someone who has given so much to the Cornell community and represented exceptional leadership within Cornell’s Latina/o community. Hence, on October 17th, 2014 at the 22nd Annual Latino Unity Dinner, the steering committee established the Marti Dense Leadership Award to be given to a student annually.
This annual award honors an exceptional student leader who has invested time, energy, passion and love in Cornell's Latina/o community. Through this service, the student leader must exemplify a strong dedication to empowering the Community and himself/herself.
Marti Dense Leadership Award Essay Theme and Contest Rules
The theme for the 24th Annual Latinx Unity Dinner is “De Una Misma Rama Unidad”. This year’s Student Leadership Award will be centered around the LLC mural “De Una Misma Rama”.
The essay must weave together the theme of “De Una Misma Rama Unidad”, the mural “De Una Misma Rama Unidad”, a personal narrative, and the Cornell Latinx community.
The contest is open to all students of Cornell University who are considered an incoming sophomore, junior, or senior in the semester in which they submit the essay. Submissions will be reviewed anonymously.
Essays must be 3 to 5 pages, type written, 1.5 line spaced. with the following formatting:
- Word Document with 1 inch margins
- 12 point Times New Roman
- Top of first page as follows: <Surname(s), First Name>
<College, Class Year (20XX)>
- Essays are not restricted to English only. Although we do ask that a translation be provided as we would not like to improperly translate the original intent of the writer.
- Each essay must be submitted with a completed submission form and updated resume (no GPA required). Essays submitted without completed submission forms and/or resume will be automatically disqualified.
- Applicants must be willing to present their essay at the 24th Latinx Unity Dinner on October 14th, 2016. If this date coincides with another event or the winner is unable to attend the Unity Dinner, a proxy chosen by the winner and Essay Review Committee will deliver the essay.
- Only one entry per student with a limit of 2 individuals per entry
- Essay entries cannot have already been published. Any essays found to be plagiarized will be automatically disqualified and the student will be prohibited from entering any future Latinx Unity Dinner essay contests. Students may quote other works so long as it is clearly understood that these works are being quoted.
In consideration for the opportunity to enter the 24th Annual Latinx Unity Dinner Essay Contest, participants agree to allow the Latina/o Studies Program at Cornell University to use their names, photographs, and essays for promotional and publicity purposes. By entering, participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the Essay Review Committee and Unity Dinner Steering Committee. The Unity Dinner Essay Review Committee may cancel the contest or chose not to select a winner without notice at any time with or without disclosed reasoning.