2018 Student Leadership Awards - Nominations Wanted
Mar 5, 2018 by Josh Edrington
Please assist us in the selection process for the following honors by nominating a student or student organization you feel is an exemplary leader in one or more of the below categories. All nominations will then go before a committee of 5 members. All awards will be presented at the Student Leadership Awards Reception on Friday, May 4th, 2018 at 4:00 p.m.. All award nominations are due by Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 5pm and may be submitted to the Office of Student Leadership & Development located in Housing / Suite #118. All award nominations must be attached and submitted in a sealed envelope, with your signature on the bottom right corner of the envelope and addressed to: Student Leadership Awards Committee, Attn: Cindy Lindo.
Outstanding Student Leader of the Year Award
- All currently enrolled CSUS students are eligible.
- Leadership qualities: establishing and achieving goals, motivating and involving others.
- Campus and community service: active involvement with co-curricular and non-academic activities and groups.
- Demonstration of high personal standards and values: honesty, integrity, and courage.
- Personal contributions to campus and community programs.
Judge and Alverta Hughes Humanitarian Award
- Must be graduating CSUS senior or graduate student.
- Purpose is to recognize a student who has delivered volunteer services to communities, groups or individuals and positively impacted the lives of others.
- Length, breadth, scope and type of service will be reviewed.
Carol Burke Memorial Award
- Enrolled CSUS students are eligible.
- Should exemplify the following personal qualities and values:
- Leadership through promotion of “team spirit”
- Positive Attitude
- Willingness to accept challenges
- Dedication to student-empowerment
- Tangible contributions to campus life
Miriam V. and John L. Keymer Memorial Award
- Enrolled CSUS students are eligible
- “Unsung” Student Leader
- Does not occupy a prominent student leader office
- Worked selflessly and effectively as a student advocate for the campus
- Has improved the quality of life on campus
Awarded to the student or student organization that has made the greatest single achievement for the University or their individual organization in the past year. Self-nominations accepted.
Outstanding Student Organization Award
Awarded to the student organization who best demonstrates “overall” excellence or is outstanding in the criteria listed below.
Emphasis is on contributions to the University:
- Quality of Activities/Special Events
- Promotion of University (visibility)
Participation in University sponsored events
- Community Service
- Organization (effective governance)
- Cooperation (internal/external)
Awarded to the student organization with the most impressive philanthropic service record for the year.
Letter of recommendation from advisor is required.
Diversity Awareness Award
Diversity Awareness Award will be given to a club, organization, or an individual that demonstrates outstanding efforts towards educating, encouraging, and promoting diversity on campus.
Nominated club, organization, or an individual must have met the following criteria:
- All enrolled CSUS students are eligible.
- Nominations of individuals must come from a recognized organization, staff or faculty member.
- Promoting and encouraging the importance of diversity within and between people of varying ethnic or religious backgrounds, socioeconomic status, and sexual orientation on campus.
- Raising awareness that will educate others of acceptance of individual differences.
- Demonstrates leadership through embracing diversity concepts and values.
Most Spirited Organization
Awarded to the student organization that has displayed the most spirit for their organization. Pictures will be accepted as well.
Awarded to the student organization that has had the greatest improvement over the past year. Must include a letter of recommendation from the student organization advisor.
Student Organization Advisor of the Year
Awarded to the student organization’s advisor who demonstrated the greatest commitment and service during the year.
Student Empowerment Award
Awarded to a member of the CSUS faculty, administration, or staff who demonstrated the greatest commitment and service to developing student leadership on campus or in the community during the year. Level of dedication and length, breadth, scope and type of contribution will be considered.
To submit nominations please complete the Student Leadership Awards Nomination Sheet by the deadline date of Wednesday, April 4, 2018. All award nominations must be submitted in a sealed envelope, addressed to: Student Leadership Awards Committee, Attn: Cindy Lindo. (Include Name of Award) and your Signature in bottom right corner of sealed envelope. For questions please contact the Student Leadership & Development Office at 667-3778 or visit us in the Residence Life Village, Room 118.