Stipended Internship with Youth Outdoor Mentoring Nonprofit
average 10 hours/week, qualifies for college credit
occasional weekend and evening work required
stipend up to $50/week, $1,000 total for winter and spring terms (20 weeks)
personal transportation recommended
Urban Nature Partners PDX is a growing nonprofit entering its 5th year that matches youth in 4th through 8th grades from underserved Portland neighborhoods with mentors to spend regular time outdoors in urban greenspaces. Since spring 2014, we have brought our program to 32 youth in three diverse, low income areas of Portland, and have developed numerous partnerships with other dynamic Portland environmental and educational organizations to leverage opportunities for our youth and families. We are the only Portland based nonprofit providing long-term, relationship based, non- curricular, youth focused outdoor opportunities for young people in this age group.
This position is primarily responsible for assisting the Director and leadership team with administrative, planning, and program execution tasks of all kinds, including helping coordinate and lead outdoor group outings for youth, mentors, and families. Term may be extended into summer 2018 and beyond if agreed upon by both parties. *This position also provides the opportunity to serve on the Board (Administrative Committee) as a Youth Representative for a 1-year term.*
If you care about social justice, love youth and the outdoors, and want an amazing opportunity to get ground floor experience with the many facets of nonprofit management, this internship is for you!
An Urban Nature Partners PDX internship provides the following opportunities:
- Gain intimate knowledge of the nonprofit sector in a young and growing program
- Learn about funding sources, how to successfully apply for grants, and raise other funds
- Gain insight into the socio-economic challenges of youth in underserved neighborhoods
- Gain valuable information management and event planning skills
- Gain many professional contacts for current and future ventures
- Correspond professionally with current and future program partners and mentors as a UNP-PDX representative
- Interact with youth, mentors, and families in planning and facilitating group events
- Track and analyze hours, attendance, funds, demographics, and evaluative data of youth, families, and mentors
- Assist Administrative Committee members with research and administrative tasks as requested; serve as a Youth Representative if desired (volunteer position through the end of 2018)
- Assist with mentor and youth recruitment and training as requested and qualified
- Purchase program and youth materials with UNP-PDX funds
- Assist with fundraising activities, conduct grant research and assist with grant writing process
- Assist with publicity materials and social media accounts/campaigns
Please visit our website at http://urban-nature-partners.org and our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/urbannaturepartnerspdx for more information. Interested parties may also speak with former interns and current mentors.
To apply, please send an email introduction/statement of interest along with a current resume or description of work and educational experience to: Founder/Director Kristin Bowling, Urban Nature Partners PDX, PO Box 17021, Portland, OR 97217, firstname.lastname@example.org, 541-281-7162. Candidates from diverse socio-economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.