Community Intersectionality Advocates Application
Community Intersectionality Advocates(CIAs) serve as a resource for the community and resident advisors in the areas of programming and resolving conflicts involving social identity issues. They are role models within the community by receiving on-going training designed to recognize their own identities and how it affects their view of the world, encouraging dialogue among students, discussing on-campus resources and working toward the creation of truly inclusive communities. The CIAs assume an active role in the advancement of multiculturalism and social justice by engaging their peers through community development, celebration, and dialogue.
During the year the CIAs will focus on the following (but not limited to) themes:
- Reflection and understanding of the intersectionality of their personal identities
- Questioning social constructs that are communicated through various forms of media
- Comparing and contrasting multicultural perspectives
- Cornell community member that adheres to the Mission statements and values of Cornell University and Residential and New Student Programs
- Ally for all students, staff and community members of the Cornell community inclusive of all individuals social identities (race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, ability/disability, education, language, occupation, geographic location)
- Plans and executes creative multifaceted programs in the residence halls and surrounding community areas around interpersonal and group dialogue/interaction about but not limited to social justice and diversity.
- Develop a sense of personal responsibility to foster an atmosphere of equity between self and fellow Cornellians
- Learn to respect the limitations of our humanity/human experience
Fall semester- 10/21, 11/4 and 11/18 from 9am-12pm
Spring semester- Tri-weekly
September 24th at 11:59pm- Applications for CIA close
October 5th- Applicants who applied by the first deadline will be notified by this date.
APPLICATIONS HAVE BEEN EXTENDED to OCTOBER 13th @ 11:59pm
If you have any questions, please contact Theoria Cason (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Catherine Ramirez (email@example.com)