Participate in Open House
Feb 2, 2017 by Bill Harlan
K-State will present the 38th annual All-University Open House on Saturday, April 1 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Open House is one of K-State's largest attractions of the year. It is an opportunity for us to inform the public about the university, maintain contact with alumni, and recruit new students. This year's them is, The Future Is Built Here!
Due to extensive renovations of the K-State Student Union, changes have been made to the layout of display tables. Displays will be located throughout the courtyard, first, and second floors of the Union to maximize display space and minimize congestion.
We invite campus entities and student organizations to have a display in the Union. If you are interested in securing space in the Union, please fill out the request form:
Please note: If you are a student organization or department in the College of Arts and Sciences, you should NOT complete this form. A representative from the Dean’s office will send you a separate communication detailing how to request space.
The deadline to register for a display table is Friday, March 3rd. It is important that you complete your reservation as soon as possible. Space is limited, and we will prioritize reservations in the order that they are received.
We encourage everyone to use innovative and interactive displays, please keep the following in mind:
- All student organizations will receive a 3 x 3 ft. table or share a 6 or 8 ft. table as space allows. Please plan your displays accordingly.
- We must know if your group will be using electrical equipment (computers, interactive screens, etc.). Building engineers will ensure that electricity is distributed according to your needs. The actual equipment is your responsibility to rent or borrow.
- Extension cords and power strips will be available on Saturday morning, April 1 at the Open House Information Table (near the entrance to Bosco Student Plaza). Please note the following: cords will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. They will be checked out to one member of your organization and must be returned and checked in at the end of the day. A bill for missing cords will be sent to the member responsible.
- Sign holders will be available at the Union Saturday morning, April 1 at 7 a.m. However, the number is limited, and reservations for these items are not taken. Please plan another way to hang your signs in the event all of them are gone. An easel is an easy way to avoid the hassle.
- Due to limited space in the Union, chairs will not be at every table. If you would like chairs at your table, they will be available the day of Open House.
- The sale of items or fundraising at booths is prohibited. Open House is designed to portray life at K-State and promote our organizations; we do not want visitors to be asked to donate money multiple times.
- When setting up displays, keep in mind that traffic flow is always tight. We will have visitors with disabilities as well as guests with baby strollers moving through the Union. Please try to make pathways as accommodating as possible.
- Your organization may set up its display Friday evening, March 31 from 6 to 10 p.m., as well as Saturday morning, April 1 from 7 to 9 a.m. All displays must be set up by 9 a.m. and must remain in place until 3 p.m. Please make arrangements for a member of your organization to be at your display at all times during Open House. Failure to do so may result in the loss of Union space to your organization at next year's Open House.
- Tables not occupied by 9 a.m. will be reassigned.
- If your group makes a table reservation but at some point decides not to participate, PLEASE NOTIFY ME ASAP!
Additionally, we would love to have members of your organization volunteer at Open House. Volunteers are needed to help with the university-wide offerings and at the college and departmental level. Volunteers have the chance to be part of one of the university's largest annual events, and this is a great way to help your fellow Wildcats. Please encourage the members of your organization to attend Open House and learn more about what K-State has to offer. It is also a great time to spend with friends and family. If any members of your organization are interested in volunteering, please contact: Courtney Hallenbeck, Open House co-coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or Drew Bormann, Core Committee volunteer coordinator, email@example.com.
Check www.k-state.edu/openhouse/ for updates on Open House events.
Now it's up to you! Have fun! If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you all at Open House!
Kansas State University
Student Life Exhibits Coordinator|Open House Core Committee